My guest is Cathy Berman, a private practitioner in Oakland, CA. She began her career as a nurse practitioner in the ob-gyn field. It was a natural transition for her to become a marriage and family therapist who specializes in pregnancy and postpartum issues. Join us for this real and open conversation about Cathy’s practice and her struggles along the journey.
What We’ll Learn
- A favorite quote that has guided Cathy: “Sometimes your only means of transportation is a leap of faith.”
- Similarities between trusting the process of therapy and starting a business: both require a leap of faith!
- “The bridge”
- Handling fears and getting support
- A pearl of wisdom? Keep a part-time job while starting your private practice
- Cathy’s former job at Planned Parenthood
- Finding a niche for private practice: following your true calling
- Visualizing the future
- The challenges in private practice:
- Balancing work and home
- Choosing online resources that are user-friendly
- Insurance issues
- Self-care and setting boundaries
- Hot Couch Round:
- A daily habit that contributes to Cathy’s success? Swimming or walking daily
- A favorite online resource? Postpartum Support International, Psychology Today, Office Ally, and the STC podcast
- A favorite business-related book? The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene’ Brown
- A tip to someone thinking of starting a private practice? Have a part-time job, consult with successful, positive therapists, get advice and referrals, and join your local therapist organization.
- What would you do if you were starting over with $500 and a laptop? “I would take other therapists out for lunch or coffee and pick their brains. Next, I would invest in great business cards that show my unique message.”
Find out more about Cathy: Cathy Berman MFT
More Resources On The STC Blog
Selling the Couch Directory Don’t miss an opportunity to get listed in the Selling the Couch Directory! COMING SOON!
Building Your Private Practice Website: The DIY Guide: The #1 advice I receive from successful private practitioners is to build a private practice website as quickly as possible. I put together this step by step guide to help you get started.
STC Resource Page: A growing list of tools, tips, and books to guide your private practice journey.
“Using Podcasting To Grow Your Business” Podcasting Workshop: As STC has grown, I also teach other helpers and healers how to use podcasting to grow their business and impact in the world. If you’ve been thinking about launching a podcast, please join us =).
Thank You for Listening
I know that our lives are busy, and I’m grateful that you took the time to listen to this week’s podcast.
If you enjoyed today’s episode, please share it with our colleagues and friends using the social media buttons on this page.
Please consider leaving an honest rating and review for the podcast on iTunes as this helps the podcast reach more of our colleagues who want to build successful practices.
Finally, feel free to join over 3,000 of our colleagues who are signed up for the Selling the Couch newsletter.
You’ll learn valuable tips to build and grow your practice and get the podcast episodes delivered right to your inbox.
You’ll also get FREE access to The Tax Write-Off Check List for Mental Health Private Practitioners.
Today’s Awesome Sponsor – TheraNest
TheraNest helps behavioral health professionals manage their practice with ease and efficiency.
Get 21 days free trial and 20% off the monthly fee for the first 3 months: TheraNest