My guest today is Laura Vaillancourt, LHMC, a geriatric mental health specialist in Olympia, WA. Laura is doing amazing things in serving the elderly, providing a variety of services including case management and assessments. Part of her work includes consulting with other geriatric caregivers and facilities. Our conversation gives an opportunity to think about what can grow and evolve when you focus on serving a population for which you have a genuine passion.
What We’ll Learn
- Tapping into your unique experiences in knowing what population you want to work with most
- How Laura spent time hanging out with older folks as a young kid
- Choosing between the veteran population and older adults: Where does my heart feel most softened and comfortable?
- How to get started with an internship in your selected field
- Counseling opportunities at a skilled nursing facility
- Laura’s first love—working with dementia patients and their families
- How Laura’s trial and error “laboratory” helped build the program
- The evolution of Laura’s range of services
- How things fell into place for Laura
- One of Laura’s biggest mistakes: neglecting the marketing piece of private practice
- Finding time to market your practice when you don’t have time to market!
- Practical advice on scheduling and balancing various services
Find out more about Laura and her work by visiting: Elder Care Counselor
Thank You for Listening
I know that our lives are busy, and I’m grateful that you took the time to listen to this week’s podcast.
If you enjoyed today’s episode, please share it with our colleagues and friends using the social media buttons on this page.
Please consider leaving an honest rating and review for the podcast on iTunes as this helps the podcast reach more of our colleagues who want to build successful practices.
Finally, feel free to join over 5,000 of our colleagues who are signed up for the Selling the Couch newsletter.
You’ll learn valuable tips to build and grow your practice and get the podcast episodes delivered right to your inbox.
You’ll also get FREE access to The Tax Write-Off Check List for Mental Health Private Practitioners.
Today’s Awesome Sponsor – TheraNest
TheraNest helps behavioural health professionals manage their practice with ease and efficiency.
Get 21 days free trial and 20% off the monthly fee for the first 3 months: TheraNest