Today’s topic is email correspondence with clients, specifically, the parameters to follow in staying secure. My guest is Anabeli Fernandez of Hushmail, and we’re diving deep into the world of email. Anabeli takes terms and concepts that can be confusing and explains them in an easy-to-understand way. Join us to learn more!
What We’ll Learn
- HIPAA-Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act: the federal regulations on practitioners to protect patients’ confidentiality
- BAA-Business Associate Agreement: a third-party provider in HIPAA compliance
- What HIPAA requires from a practitioner regarding email
- Email encryption: What it is and how it works to add extra security
- How encrypted email is different from regular email
- Email archiving—a record of everything you’ve sent electronically
- Tips for email security:
- Use a secure email service and use it correctly
- Make sure you have the correct recipient
- Keep the sensitive content in the body of the email or an attachment, not in the subject line
- Take a step back and pause before sending an email
- Hushmail and the services it provides
- Secure email with extra security features
- Provides BAA for HIPAA compliance
The team at Hushmail hooked STC fans with a 20% discount for their services!
Here’s a description of their services:
Hushmail is a secure email service that lets you send and receive private, encrypted emails and attachments to and from anyone, even people who don’t use Hushmail.
With easy-to-use webmail and an iPhone app, there’s no complicated installation process.
Just sign up and start sending securely. Our Healthcare plans come configured for HIPAA compliance and include the required BAA, an archive account and secure forms.
Thank You for Listening
I know that our lives are busy, and I’m grateful that you took the time to listen to this week’s podcast.
If you enjoyed today’s episode, please share it with our colleagues and friends using the social media buttons on this page.
Please consider leaving an honest rating and review for the podcast on iTunes as this helps the podcast reach more of our colleagues who want to build successful practices.
Finally, feel free to join over 5,000 of our colleagues who are signed up for the Selling the Couch newsletter.
You’ll learn valuable tips to build and grow your practice and get the podcast episodes delivered right to your inbox.
You’ll also get FREE access to The Tax Write-Off Check List for Mental Health Private Practitioners.
Today’s Awesome Sponsor – TheraNest
TheraNest helps behavioral health professionals manage their practice with ease and efficiency.
Get 21 days free trial and 20% off the monthly fee for the first 3 months: TheraNest