Today’s podcast is a solo episode about My Struggle with Chasing the Shiny Objects in Business. I’ve experienced this struggle as I’ve built STC and gone through the challenges of entrepreneurship. My desire is to encourage all of you by being transparent about this issue.
What We’ll Learn
- Why seeing the accomplishments of others and wondering why we don’t experience the same degree of success can accelerate the “shiny object syndrome”
- Some negative effects of “shiny object syndrome,” which I’ve heard referred to as the “disease of distraction”:
- Not finishing projects we start
- Spending money and time carelessly
- 5 Things I’ve Learned about Working through Shiny Object Syndrome:
- Social media posts are a sliver of someone’s life; don’t compare yourself to others!
- Focus on your ONE thing for a season
- Your practice, your business, and your circumstances are unique to you—Own them!
- Keep a vault of ideas and review them quarterly or twice yearly—honor your natural curiosity
- Saying YES to something usually means saying NO to something else
- This topic is one that resonates with many, as we all go through these struggles in building our careers and finding our voice.
- Just a reminder that I’ll be taking a break from the podcast from Thanksgiving through December, so look for three more episodes and then a break until January!
*See Episode 108 for my review of this book!
Thank You for Listening
I know that our lives are busy, and I’m grateful that you took the time to listen to this week’s podcast.
If you enjoyed today’s episode, please share it with our colleagues and friends using the social media buttons on this page.
Please consider leaving an honest rating and review for the podcast on iTunes as this helps the podcast reach more of our colleagues who want to build successful practices.
Finally, feel free to join over 5,000 of our colleagues who are signed up for the Selling the Couch newsletter.
You’ll learn valuable tips to build and grow your practice and get the podcast episodes delivered right to your inbox.
You’ll also get FREE access to The Tax Write-Off Check List for Mental Health Private Practitioners.
Today’s Awesome Sponsor – TheraNest
TheraNest helps behavioral health professionals manage their practice with ease and efficiency.
Get 21 days free trial and 20% off the monthly fee for the first 3 months: TheraNest