How is your sleep? Sleep is a vitally important part of our lives that is often overlooked. We don’t usually think about the ways we cheat ourselves out of good sleep and how the quality of our sleep impacts every part of our day. Today’s show focuses on sleep as it relates to private practitioners and small business owners. Let’s explore how we can improve the quality of our sleep!
Dr. Yishan Xu is a licensed psychologist in private practice in Los Altos, CA. She’s an expert on sleep and runs therapy groups on insomnia. Her podcast, Deep into Sleep, is launching soon, so she’s a great person to help us cover this topic. We’re discussing why sleep is so important and what an ideal night of sleep should look like. Yishan explains why people struggle with insomnia, how quality sleep impacts us as private practitioners, and the biggest mistakes small business owners make regarding sleep. She wraps up our conversation by giving us her best tips for great sleep from her work, training, and experience.
What We’ll Learn
- Why sleep is important for small business owners
- Two challenges for small business owners: drowsy driving and insomnia
- How insomnia impacts our daily lives
- Common factors of an ideal night of sleep:
- A wind-down period of 30-60 minutes before sleep
- No struggle to fall asleep or stay asleep
- Normal wakefulness of 10-12 times per night
- A 20-40 minute transition from sleep to awake in the morning
- Why you wake up several times during sleep as you drift in and out of sleep stages
- What we can do about insomnia
- Did you ever wonder why you worry more in the middle of the night? Yishan explains your rational brain vs. your emotional brain
- Why you shouldn’t get up in the night to work when you can’t sleep
- How a clinician can wind down after a tough day:
- Have a dividing line between work and personal time
- Focus on self-care and relaxation before bedtime
- Three ways that quality sleep benefits private practitioners (and everyone!): more daytime energy, brighter mood, and better focus
- Three biggest mistakes that small business owners make regarding sleep:
- Working up to the minute they try to sleep
- Using electronics up until bedtime (the blue light interferes with the release of melatonin)
- Lacking boundaries between work and self-care
- Why your downtime before bed should not include technology
- Yishan’s best tips to improve sleep quality:
- Don’t look at the clock when you wake in the night
- Find your own wind-down routine
- Try to wake up at the same time every day
Mind & Body Garden Find out more about Yishan’s work, her upcoming podcast, and her online insomnia groups, available in English and Mandarin
Show sponsor: STC Directory
Thank You for Listening
I know that our lives are busy, and I’m grateful that you took the time to listen to this week’s podcast.
If you enjoyed today’s episode, please share it with our colleagues and friends using the social media buttons on this page.
Please consider leaving an honest rating and review for the podcast on iTunes as this helps the podcast reach more of our colleagues who want to build successful practices.
Finally, feel free to join over 4,000 of our colleagues who are signed up for the Selling the Couch newsletter.
You’ll learn valuable tips to build and grow your practice and get the podcast episodes delivered right to your inbox.
You’ll also get FREE access to The Tax Write-Off Check List for Mental Health Private Practitioners.
Today’s Awesome Sponsor – STC Directory
The Selling The Couch Directory came from a simple dream to make it easier for us in private practice to connect with one another. This will make it easier to cross refer, share unique niches/specializations, find colleagues near us and/or who work in similar/related niches, and find/advertise clinical and business supervision/consultation services. Please check out this video to learn more about the STC Directory.