[smart_track_player url=”http://traffic.libsyn.com/sellingthecouch/STC_209_Juan__Santos_Edited.mp3″ title=”Immigration Hardship Evaluations And How To Conduct, Market, And Charge For Them” background=”default” ]
Today’s show covers a topic that we’ve dealt with before, but I wanted to take a deeper dive into Immigration Hardship Evaluations. Let’s learn more together with today’s guest!
Juan Santos is a Licensed Professional Counselor in Greensboro, NC. He’s here to talk about what he has learned about these evaluations and how to conduct, market, and charge for them. Our conversation gets to the real heart of the issue, based on Juan’s experiences in his clinical work. If you’ve been curious about these evaluations and wondered if you are qualified to do them, then this show will answer your questions and give you the relevant information.
What We’ll Learn
- Why Juan began doing Immigration Hardship Evaluations to impact people’s lives in positive ways
- The typical process when a client is interested in an IH eval
- A specific example of how hardship occurs for an immigrant
- How a counselor works collaboratively with an attorney in writing the evaluation
- Setting clear boundaries as a clinician when we navigate immigration cases
- How the complex process gets started for an immigrant: 90% of cases are initiated by an attorney, and 10% are initiated by the client personally
- The different evaluations that a clinician may be called upon to write (the five core evaluations)
- Why Juan charges fees based on what other clinicians in his area might charge
- How Juan’s charges are based on the length of time it takes to write the evaluation and the communication with the attorney and client
- The urgent nature of the evaluations that might be based on the client’s needs to prepare for immigration court
- How Juan structures an emergency evaluation with an expedited fee and a flat rate added to it
- How Juan maintains clarity in the face of the emotion of the client’s needs as they prepare for immigration court
- How Juan connects to his clients because of the real-life impacts of the evaluations
- The questionnaires Juan uses to gather the information for the evaluation regarding depression and anxiety
- Top ways Juan markets these evaluations:
- Builds sustainable relationships with immigration attorneys
- Reaches out to specific organizations and clinics that serve minorities and undocumented individuals
- Posts video and audio blurbs to social media and his website to highlight the evaluation process
- How immigration evaluations fall on the psycho-social level
- The personal consultations and courses Juan offers to train other clinicians to do these Immigration Hardship Evaluations
Find out more about Juan and his e-courses: Santos Counseling.com
Find a discount code for Juan’s course at Session209
Check out our sponsor and find out more about the paperless intake options available at Therapy Notes
Check out Session173 for more information about immigration evaluations.
Thank You for Listening
I know that our lives are busy, and I’m grateful that you took the time to listen to this week’s podcast. If you enjoyed today’s episode, please share it with our colleagues and friends using the social media buttons on this page. Please consider leaving an honest rating and review for the podcast on iTunes as this helps the podcast reach more of our colleagues who want to build successful practices. Finally, feel free to join over 4,000 of our colleagues who are signed up for the Selling the Couch newsletter. You’ll learn valuable tips to build and grow your practice and get the podcast episodes delivered right to your inbox. You’ll also get FREE access to The Tax Write-Off Check List for Mental Health Private Practitioners.
Today’s Awesome Sponsor – Therapy Notes
When it comes to keeping your practice organized, you want software that’s not only simple but the best. I recommend TherapyNotes. Their platform lets you manage notes, claims, scheduling, and more. Plus, they offer amazing, unlimited phone and email support, so when you have a question, they are there to help. To get two free months of TherapyNOtes today, just use the promo code “Melvin” when you sign up for a free trial at Therapy Notes