Welcome! My guest today is Amanda Petrik, LCPC in Topeka, Kansas. In addition to her counseling work, Amanda is also a registered play therapist. She recently made the transition from part-time private practice to full-time, which may sound easier than it actually is! Our discussion today stems from a post Amanda made in the STC Facebook community that got an overwhelming response. Join me to hear how she wrote letters to introduce herself and her practice to healthcare providers in her area, the response she received, and what she’s learned along this unconventional path.
What We’ll Learn
- Why Amanda was inspired to write letters the “old-fashioned” way
- Why Amanda personalized each letter, reaching out to healthcare providers (AND how she’s already gained over 100 client sessions from those letters in the first month!)
- Amanda details the specifics of the process she used:
- The letters were personalized to individual doctors, and not to their agencies/organizations
- The process she used to search out appropriate physicians and counselors (it only takes 3-4 doctors to build a solid referral base)
- The idea behind sending out a LOT of letters and not just a few
- Other factors that played into Amanda’s success:
- She was thinking “like a consumer”—“Who is seeing my clients before they see me?”
- The letters reflected her personality, introduced her, and sold her services
- She was trying to form connections and relationships
- She explained the logistics of insurance in her practice
- Why is this working so well for Amanda?
- She continues to tweak the process
- She looks for functional and practical ideas of what to include in the letter
- She searches for more providers who line up with her specialties
- She is nurturing those relationships for the future, even sending handwritten thank-you’s for the referrals
Vista Print: A resource to create business cards, flyers, stationary, etc.
Amanda LCPC: Amanda’s Private Practice Website
More Resources On The STC Blog
Selling the Couch Directory Don’t miss an opportunity to get listed in the Selling the Couch Directory! COMING SOON!
Building Your Private Practice Website: The DIY Guide: The #1 advice I receive from successful private practitioners is to build a private practice website as quickly as possible. I put together this step by step guide to help you get started.
STC Resource Page: A growing list of tools, tips, and books to guide your private practice journey.
“Using Podcasting To Grow Your Business” Podcasting Workshop: As STC has grown, I also teach other helpers and healers how to use podcasting to grow their business and impact in the world. If you’ve been thinking about launching a podcast, please join us =).
Thank You for Listening
I know that our lives are busy, and I’m grateful that you took the time to listen to this week’s podcast.
If you enjoyed today’s episode, please share it with our colleagues and friends using the social media buttons on this page.
Please consider leaving an honest rating and review for the podcast on iTunes as this helps the podcast reach more of our colleagues who want to build successful practices.
Finally, feel free to join over 3,000 of our colleagues who are signed up for the Selling the Couch newsletter.
You’ll learn valuable tips to build and grow your practice and get the podcast episodes delivered right to your inbox.
You’ll also get FREE access to The Tax Write-Off Check List for Mental Health Private Practitioners.
Today’s Awesome Sponsor – TheraNest
TheraNest helps behavioral health professionals manage their practice with ease and efficiency.
Get 21 days free trial and 20% off the monthly fee for the first 3 months: TheraNest