My guest today is Opher Ganel, who is the spouse of a mental health practitioner. Although he trained as a physicist, he has a passion for small businesses. In working with his wife in her practice, he has noticed the struggle that many feel around setting rates. That’s our focus for today’s show; we will discuss setting fees in your private practice, which can be an uncomfortable subject. Join me for some helpful information!
What We’ll Learn
- Opher’s unusual career: interest in physics and math, education in Switzerland and the US, systems engineer for NASA, and the owner of a consulting company
- Opher’s knack for small business and how he’s put it into practice
- How the same skill sets and aptitudes are parallel in the worlds of physics and finance—Who knew?
- Opher’s current work for NASA on space telescope technologies for use in the 2030’s
- How he went from negative net worth to a comfortable six-figure income
- Why do people struggle in setting fees?
- They aren’t taught to think like business people
- Therapists are super empathetic, which spills over into the financial aspect of their practice
- The unique role therapists play in helping people
- Why charge the bare minimum? What is a lifetime of training and experience worth?
- Charging too little for your services is a recipe for BURNOUT
- Practical Tips about Setting Fees:
- The fee should be about your clients, and not you
- Your profit has to be enough to support your family
Opher Ganel (Visit Opher’s website for more information, for his worksheet about setting fees, and to find out more about his upcoming course!)
More Resources On The STC Blog
Selling the Couch Directory Don't miss an opportunity to get listed in the Selling the Couch Directory! COMING SOON!
Building Your Private Practice Website: The DIY Guide: The #1 advice I receive from successful private practitioners is to build a private practice website as quickly as possible. I put together this step by step guide to help you get started.
STC Resource Page: A growing list of tools, tips, and books to guide your private practice journey.
“Using Podcasting To Grow Your Business” Podcasting Workshop: As STC has grown, I also teach other helpers and healers how to use podcasting to grow their business and impact in the world. If you've been thinking about launching a podcast, please join us =).
Thank You for Listening
I know that our lives are busy, and I’m grateful that you took the time to listen to this week’s podcast.
If you enjoyed today’s episode, please share it with our colleagues and friends using the social media buttons on this page.
Please consider leaving an honest rating and review for the podcast on iTunes as this helps the podcast reach more of our colleagues who want to build successful practices.
Finally, feel free to join over 4,000 of our colleagues who are signed up for the Selling the Couch newsletter.
You’ll learn valuable tips to build and grow your practice and get the podcast episodes delivered right to your inbox.
You’ll also get FREE access to The Tax Write-Off Check List for Mental Health Private Practitioners.
Today’s Awesome Sponsor – TheraNest
TheraNest helps behavioral health professionals manage their practice with ease and efficiency.
Get 21 days free trial and 20% off the monthly fee for the first 3 months: TheraNest