[smart_track_player url=”http://traffic.libsyn.com/sellingthecouch/STC_Melvin-Varghese_Edited.mp3″ title=”My Struggle to Find a Niche” artist=”Melvin Tallks About” background=”default” ]
I’m going solo today to have an honest conversation about My Struggle with Finding a Niche. It’s been a difficult path that stills feel a little raw and emotional for me as I’ve taken the leap back into private practice this year. Join me now as I share some thoughts and tips I’ve picked up along the way.
What We’ll Learn
- Two big fears for me around my career path:
- How do I manage a growing STC and Healthcasters community AND a private practice, while still making time for my family and my self-care?
- Who do I serve in private practice?
- “Being an entrepreneur and building an online business isn’t easy!”
- How most clinicians find a niche:
- Some focus on a diagnosis, condition, or presenting concern
- Some focus on a population
- Some focus on a training
- Some do a hybrid of these
- How I narrowed down my niche to serving entrepreneurs and basketball players
- What I’ve learned from Selling the Couch: “It’s much better to go deep into ONE topic than to be broad about several topics.”
- How my conflicted feelings led me to focus on working with entrepreneurs
- How I identified my niche (What do I want in my life and career?)
- Family cannot be an afterthought
- Career is what I do, not who I am
- Freedom to work from anywhere
- A business focused on service
- The “buckets” of my career: Counseling/coaching/consulting, teaching, creating, writing, and serving
- Why the different buckets? They give variety and create multiple income streams
- How I distinguished between my two niche ideas:
- Are there other clinicians who are having success in seeing this population?
- Passion is not enough. Is there a public demand within this niche?
- Can I provide a variety of products and services to this population?
- Is this scalable?
- Can I serve this population via the medium of online counseling?
- A Bonus Tip! Can I amplify what I’m doing and make a natural leap into a certain population?
Malvin's website: Selling The Couch
Thank You for Listening
I know that our lives are busy, and I’m grateful that you took the time to listen to this week’s podcast.
If you enjoyed today’s episode, please share it with our colleagues and friends using the social media buttons on this page.
Please consider leaving an honest rating and review for the podcast on iTunes as this helps the podcast reach more of our colleagues who want to build successful practices.
Finally, feel free to join over 4,000 of our colleagues who are signed up for the Selling the Couch newsletter.
You’ll learn valuable tips to build and grow your practice and get the podcast episodes delivered right to your inbox.
You’ll also get FREE access to The Tax Write-Off Check List for Mental Health Private Practitioners.
Today’s Awesome Sponsor – Brighter Vision
Sign up using the coupon code COUCH to get a free month of service: Brighter Vision