Welcome to the first episode of 2020! It’s been nice to have some extra time for rest and family time around the holidays, but now I’m ready to get going again with wonderful guests and helpful episodes as we step into a new year.
Curt Widhalm, LMFT, is a friend based in Los Angeles. He works with high-achieving teens in his practice. I wanted Curt to share how he chose this niche and what he’s learned along the way. It’s also cool that Curt is a marathon runner who ran competitively in high school and now works as a trainer with US Track & Field. In this conversation with Curt, we talk about the power of sub-niching within a niche, lessons learned by Curt along the way, and how he discusses his $225/hr fees with parents.
What We’ll Learn
- How Curt’s personality and passion come through in his website and his podcast
- Why Curt focuses on working with teens
- How Curt begins intake sessions with teens and their parents in the room
- How Curt’s client breakdown varies according to the trends going on in the LA area schools
- How Curt’s sports training helps his therapy work with clients
- Why the need for rest reigns supreme as the #1 problem that needs to be tackled
- How Curt determined that high-achieving teens would be a viable niche for him
- Why Curt encourages parents to focus on the effort more than results
- How Curt gets referrals from local schools, social media, and his website
- How Curt views the therapeutic alliance
- In discussing the $225/hr fees, Curt tries to alleviate parents’ fears and demonstrate his authentic value
Find Curt’s podcast at MTSG Podcast
Thank You for Listening
I know that our lives are busy, and I’m grateful that you took the time to listen to this week’s podcast.
If you enjoyed today’s episode, please share it with our colleagues and friends using the social media buttons on this page.
Please consider leaving an honest rating and review for the podcast on iTunes as this helps the podcast reach more of our colleagues who want to build successful practices.
Finally, feel free to join over 4,000 of our colleagues who are signed up for the Selling the Couch newsletter.
You’ll learn valuable tips to build and grow your practice and get the podcast episodes delivered right to your inbox.
You’ll also get FREE access to The Tax Write-Off Check List for Mental Health Private Practitioners.
Today’s Awesome Sponsor – Wellness Fi
TheraNest helps behavioral health professionals manage their practice with ease and efficiency.