Today’s show covers an interesting topic that has come up in the STC community. We discuss multiple income streams frequently, but what is the best way to put those in place? Do I need to build my therapy practice before I launch a second income stream? Let’s answer these questions and more with today’s guest.
Annie Schuessler lives in the San Francisco Bay area. She’s been in private practice for 20 years, and she’s mentored other therapists for 10 years. She has insights learned along the way in her journey, and she’s here to share those secrets with us. We’ll discuss why it’s important to have additional income streams as a clinician, and Annie shares the three minimum steps to take before launching into other income streams. Join us for more from Annie!
What We’ll Learn
- Why a clinician in private practice should have additional income streams
- Benefits to multiple income streams
- Annie’s thoughts and realizations about building your therapy practice first
- How the personality of the therapist can factor into the decision about when to branch out
- Determining what you want your business and schedule to look like
- Three minimums to have in place before launching additional income streams:
- Have income to get through the building phase
- Have a mindset of experimentation, creativity, and grit
- Have a specific amount of time–at least two hours– carved out each week for your new endeavor
- The importance of a supportive community who are invested in you and your business
- Books to help with mindset: Atomic Habits by James Clear and Big Magic by
- The starting point is deeply focusing on your niche
Today’s show sponsor(Find out about a 30-day free trial): Therapy Notes
Find Annie’s website, podcast, and many resources: RebelTherapist
Thank You for Listening
I know that our lives are busy, and I’m grateful that you took the time to listen to this week’s podcast. If you enjoyed today’s episode, please share it with our colleagues and friends using the social media buttons on this page. Please consider leaving an honest rating and review for the podcast on iTunes as this helps the podcast reach more of our colleagues who want to build successful practices. Finally, feel free to join over 4,000 of our colleagues who are signed up for the Selling the Couch newsletter. You’ll learn valuable tips to build and grow your practice and get the podcast episodes delivered right to your inbox. You’ll also get FREE access to The Tax Write-Off Check List for Mental Health Private Practitioners.
Today’s Awesome Sponsor – Therapy Notes
When it comes to keeping your practice organized, you want software that’s not only simple but the best. I recommend TherapyNotes. Their platform lets you manage notes, claims, scheduling, and more. Plus, they offer amazing, unlimited phone and email support, so when you have a question, they are there to help. To get two free months of TherapyNOtes today, just use the promo code “Melvin” when you sign up for a free trial at Therapy Notes