Welcome to a super-informational show! Our topic is electronic health records, known as EHR. In today’s digital age, we as clinicians are moving away from paper records, but there are important factors to consider. Rob Reinhardt, LPC, is here to help us with technical and practical tips in this area. Join us!
What you’ll hear in this episode:
- What is EHR?
- Generally, it’s a system that stores clinical records electronically for clients.
- This tool has become refined and specific with the onset of HIPAA laws.
- “Meaningful use” is a phrase associated with EHR; what does it mean and what does it include?
- How EHR applies to mental health practitioners
- Common features to look for in EHR software:
- Clinical records, scheduling, billing, insurance claim filing, and client portals
- The biggest mistake Rob sees clinicians make regarding EHR? Asking colleagues, not realizing that each practice is different, so each system should be different.
- The FIRST question to ask: What are MY practice’s needs and priorities??
- Example: if your practice focuses on online counseling, then your system will need to be different than another’s
- Where do you want to be in 5 years and will this system still work for me?
- Cost-related issues to consider revolve around ROI of an EHR system:
- Appointment reminders, ease in filing insurance, and other huge time-savers
- “You can create more money but not more time!”
www.tameyourpractice.com (Find Rob’s reviews of EHR systems, blog articles, and newsletter.)
Today’s awesome sponsor is Brighter Vision, so don’t forget to check them out at http://sellingthecouch.com/brightervision to get your first month free!
Brighter Vision builds beautiful websites for therapists. We are the #1 therapist website design firm, offering design, support & hosting for one low fee.