Are You an Aspiring or Current Mental Health Private Practitioner?
Hi. I’m Melvin. I’m an early career psychologist, husband, and proud founder of Selling the Couch podcast and blog. When I started thinking about building my own counseling private practice, I had more questions than answers. Questions like:
- How do I even get started with this whole private practice thing?
- What are the best ways to get referrals?
- How do I build a website that people actually want to visit and share with others?
- How do I overcome the fear and insecurities of owing a small business?
If you’ve ever struggled with these questions or others like them, I’m glad you’re here!
How Selling the Couch Will Help You Become A Better Business Owner
I’ve always believed that we can learn from the wisdom and experiences of others. So to find answers (and to relieve my own anxiety!), I turned to colleagues who had built successful mental health private practices. I quizzed them for hours about the business side of private practice. These conversations inspired me to create the Selling the Couch podcast and blog. So here’s what you get with the podcast. I chat with seasoned mental health professionals to help you learn:
- How they build and grew their private practice
- A quote or saying that inspires them on a daily basis
- How they get referrals
- A daily habit that contributes to their success
- Books and online tools they recommend
- Their best advice for someone who’s just starting out in private practice.
I chat with business coaches and social media and marketing experts to help you learn:
- Powerful website tweaks so clients can find you easier.
- How to effectively use social media to get the word about you services.
- Cutting-edge tools to take your private practice to the next level.
I do solo episodes to help you learn:
- The things I’ve done to build the Selling The Couch blog and podcast
- Mistakes I’ve made along the way (and what I would do instead)
- Blogging, marketing, productivity, self care, and social media tips that are working for me.
Please Click the buttons below to Subscribe to the podcast.
I value your time and the trust you’ve placed in me. Through the blog and podcast, I will provide honest and straight forward information to help your private practice journey. I use my email newsletter to share tips that has helped me grow this blog from 0 to over 3,000 monthly visitors. If this is something that interests you, please feel free to use the button below to Sign Up.
What Others Are Saying:
I’m so grateful to each of you for the over 100 5/5 Star Ratings and Reviews of the podcast. Comments like these fill my heart with joy:
“As a new practitioner, I am on a quest to find a trusted source of information to help me eliminate mistakes while starting my private practice…These podcasts are so genuine, informative, and absolutely practical. And after each episode, I find myself saying, “yeah..that’s exactly what I needed to know!”…it’s obvious Melvin wants us all to succeed.”
And then there are ones that are just plain awesome…
“I own a marketing agency and, for some reason, my office building is full of mental health professionals…My neighbors are always asking me about building their practices, and I urge them to listen to this podcast. Now they’re not asking me anymore questions, but they are requesting that I not tell any other practitioners about the show!”
About Melvin Varghese:
This is the section where I’m suppose to tell you that I’m a marketing expert. Ok. I admit it. I’m a total nerd when it comes to marketing and social media. I’ve invested hundreds of hours in seeing what works and what doesn’t. I don’t consider myself a private practice coach. Instead, I wanted to give back to my field for all the opportunities I’ve been given. In business and in life, I believe in treating others the way that I’d want to be treated. For me, truth, honesty, sincerity, and kindness go a long way. In case, you’re curious, here’s some more stuff about me, the podcast, and the blog.
- I was born in India and just finished 1st grade when my family decided to move to the U.S. My parents left behind everything they knew to journey to a new land and an uncertain future. I’m still in awe of their courage.
- English is my second language. My cousins once asked me if I wanted cheese pizza when I first came to the U.S. Not knowing what either “cheese” or “pizza” was, I just stared at them.
- I’m an amateur landscape photographer.
- I record the podcast from my home office using my laptop and a mic.
- The blog receives visitors from every continent except Antartica (Antartica, we’re coming for you!), and the podcast is downloaded nearly 200 times each day.
- I was interviewed on Psychology Today about the lessons I’ve learned from building the podcast and blog. You can check it out HERE.
Thank you for giving me some of your time. I’m honored to join you on your private practice journey. =) ~Melvin
P.S. Please sign up below to join the Selling The Couch newsletter, which is trusted by over 5,000 mental health professionals. You’ll learn valuable tips on building and growing your presence online and also receive The Tax Write-Off Check List for Mental Health Private Practitioners.