Today’s topic is a new one for the podcast. We’ve never tackled the subject of religious abuse before, even though it pops up in news stories frequently. Building a private practice around working with this population may not be anything you’ve ever imagined, but you’ll hear from someone who is doing it successfully.
Connie Baker is a Licensed Professional Counselor in Washington. She’s found her niche in religious abuse recovery. Like many clinicians, Connie came to this field of work because of her personal experience of sexual abuse at the hand of religious clergy. Connie determined that the abuse wouldn’t stop her or prevent her from healing, and now she works with others who have endured the same abuse. In today’s conversation, we’ll learn how Connie came to this niche and how she markets it. We’ll learn about the amazing things she’s doing to expand into webinars, online courses, and writing books. Connie shares how she has branched out and built her successful practice. This episode is chock full of information about the benefits of focus niching.
What We’ll Learn
- What is religious abuse? Any abuse that has a power differential where a religious authority holds and manipulates that power
- How Connie became interested in this field when a pastor sexually abused her
- How her identity, reputation, and social support were shattered through her personal experience
- Why she chose this niche as a result of her healing journey
- Why the fallout from what church leadership did to Connie was much worse than the sexual assault itself
- How particular churches and denominations are known to be refuges for the religiously abused
- The steps Connie takes to market her practice
- The heightened cultural awareness of this topic over the last five years
- What Connie finds to be the hardest parts of working in this niche
- How Connie’s faith beliefs have shifted
- The steps Connie has taken to branch out into new areas
Check out our sponsor and find out more about the paperless intake options available at Therapy Notes
Thank You for Listening
I know that our lives are busy, and I’m grateful that you took the time to listen to this week’s podcast. If you enjoyed today’s episode, please share it with our colleagues and friends using the social media buttons on this page. Please consider leaving an honest rating and review for the podcast on iTunes as this helps the podcast reach more of our colleagues who want to build successful practices. Finally, feel free to join over 4,000 of our colleagues who are signed up for the Selling the Couch newsletter. You’ll learn valuable tips to build and grow your practice and get the podcast episodes delivered right to your inbox. You’ll also get FREE access to The Tax Write-Off Check List for Mental Health Private Practitioners.
Today’s Awesome Sponsor – Therapy Notes
When it comes to keeping your practice organized, you want software that’s not only simple but the best. I recommend TherapyNotes. Their platform lets you manage notes, claims, scheduling, and more. Plus, they offer amazing, unlimited phone and email support, so when you have a question, they are there to help. To get two free months of TherapyNOtes today, just use the promo code “Melvin” when you sign up for a free trial at Therapy Notes