My guest today is Nicole Burgess, LMFT, a friend and clinician from Indianapolis. Nicole’s career has included being an accountant, a business analyst, and now—a clinician and podcaster. Her podcast, Launching Your Daughter, is for parents of teen and tween girls. Today, we are discussing her journey to private practice and what she’s learned about setting realistic goals. Join us!
What We’ll Learn
- Nicole’s favorite inspirational quote, from Marianne Williamson: “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, ‘Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?’ Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
- How Nicole applies this quote: the world needs healers, and we are all human
- Why private practice?
- How licensure rules from state to state can affect your practice
- How your private practice can change over the years to reach ideal clients
- Keep taking the NEXT step
- Establishing and creating relationships
- Goal-setting—and then smaller steps to get there
- Fears in building a private practice
- How Nicole’s accounting and business background have helped in private practice
- Why pacing is important in growing your practice
- Why emotions can’t guide business decisions
- Join us for the Hot Couch Round, in which Nicole shares her favorite daily habits, some favorite resources, and your MOST important first steps in private practice.
More Resources On The STC Blog
Building Your Private Practice Website: The DIY Guide: The #1 advice I receive from successful private practitioners is to build a private practice website as quickly as possible. I put together this step by step guide to help you get started.
STC Resource Page: A growing list of tools, tips, and books to guide your private practice journey.
“Using Podcasting To Grow Your Business” Podcasting Workshop: As STC has grown, I also teach other helpers and healers how to use podcasting to grow their business and impact in the world. If you've been thinking about launching a podcast, please join us =).
Thank You for Listening
I know that our lives are busy, and I’m grateful that you took the time to listen to this week’s podcast.
If you enjoyed today’s episode, please share it with our colleagues and friends using the social media buttons on this page.
Please consider leaving an honest rating and review for the podcast on iTunes as this helps the podcast reach more of our colleagues who want to build successful practices.
Finally, feel free to join over 3,000 of our colleagues who are signed up for the Selling the Couch newsletter.
You’ll learn valuable tips to build and grow your practice and get the podcast episodes delivered right to your inbox.
You’ll also get FREE access to The Tax Write-Off Check List for Mental Health Private Practitioners.