[smart_track_player url=”http://traffic.libsyn.com/sellingthecouch/STC_Ellis_Edmunds_Edited.mp3″ title=”Creating a Therapeutic Board Game Around Mindfulness” artist=”Melvin Varghese with Ellis Edmunds” ]
My guest today is Dr. Ellis Edmunds, a psychologist in Oakland, CA. Today’s topic is about pursuing your passions and thinking outside the box. Ellis had the idea to create a therapeutic board game based on mindfulness practices. Using his creative talents and great idea for something different and unheard of in his field, Ellis took the leap and made it happen. Join us for his story!
What We’ll Learn
- The unusual elements of Ellis’ life experiences that converged to create The Mindful Bus board game:
- His childhood passion for gaming of all kinds
- His undergraduate work at a hospital, playing games with patients
- His graduate work at middle and high schools, using games to build rapport with kids
- His development of his personal mindfulness practice
- His acceptance and commitment therapy work (ACT)
- How Ellis “made it happen”:
- Taking the next step from idea to action
- Taking that all-important first small step
- Getting the idea from his head onto paper
- Taking the idea from first prototype to final product: testing, tweaking, and hiring a graphic designer to get the artwork just right
- Creating a website for the game and spreading the word about it
- Determining the price point and marketing details
- Ellis shares the lessons he has learned through developing the game and how this has impacted his life in ways he never imagined
- “It felt like I NEEDED to do this in some ways.”
- “It’s an authentic expression of who I am and my two passions of psychology and gaming.”
More Resources On The STC Blog
Selling the Couch Directory Don't miss an opportunity to get listed in the Selling the Couch Directory! COMING SOON!
Building Your Private Practice Website: The DIY Guide: The #1 advice I receive from successful private practitioners is to build a private practice website as quickly as possible. I put together this step by step guide to help you get started.
STC Resource Page: A growing list of tools, tips, and books to guide your private practice journey.
“Using Podcasting To Grow Your Business” Podcasting Workshop: As STC has grown, I also teach other helpers and healers how to use podcasting to grow their business and impact in the world. If you've been thinking about launching a podcast, please join us =).
Thank You for Listening
I know that our lives are busy, and I’m grateful that you took the time to listen to this week’s podcast.
If you enjoyed today’s episode, please share it with our colleagues and friends using the social media buttons on this page.
Please consider leaving an honest rating and review for the podcast on iTunes as this helps the podcast reach more of our colleagues who want to build successful practices.
Finally, feel free to join over 3,000 of our colleagues who are signed up for the Selling the Couch newsletter.
You’ll learn valuable tips to build and grow your practice and get the podcast episodes delivered right to your inbox.
You’ll also get FREE access to The Tax Write-Off Check List for Mental Health Private Practitioners.