Have you felt the pull of private practice? Maybe you’ve considered taking the leap into private practice, but are hesitant about the first steps to take. Today’s show takes an authentic look at the big picture, along with basic procedures to get you started. Our guest shares how she followed her intuition and took the risk that comes with starting a business.
Montoyia McGowan is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker in the Memphis, Tennessee area. She and I have connected online for about four years, since the early days of the STC community. Montoyia left a job she loved at the VA to go into private practice, and she celebrates four years in that practice this year. We are discussing what made her start her private practice, how she honed in on a niche, and how she networked and found referral sources. We’ll wrap up with an honest analysis of what has gone well for Montoyia and what she wishes she had done differently. I hope you enjoy this action-packed episode with many pearls of wisdom and insights.
What We’ll Learn
- What led Montoyia into private practice from her dream job at the VA as a social worker
- The burning desire to be in private practice, which was fueled in part by STC
- Finding humility to stay flexible and be open to new ideas
- How Montoyia narrowed her niche and identified her ideal client
- How Montoyia approached networking and marketing
- Why you need to figure out where your ideal population is going right now
- Why Montoyia created a private Facebook group for therapists of color
- What Montoyia has learned about authentically building her brand through warm invites and conversations
- One lesson Montoyia has learned from her success: “Be authentically you, no matter what others think or try to tell you.”
- One lesson Montoyia has learned from her failure: “I tried to learn the technological part of private practice and wasted a lot of time trying to do things that were beyond my skill set. I wish I had outsourced those tasks much sooner than I did.”
- Habits of the most successful business owners
Today’s show sponsor: Wellness Fi
Montoyia’s website: www.stoppingthechase.com
Montoyia’s Facebook group: Stopping the Chase
Thank You for Listening
I know that our lives are busy, and I’m grateful that you took the time to listen to this week’s podcast.
If you enjoyed today’s episode, please share it with our colleagues and friends using the social media buttons on this page.
Please consider leaving an honest rating and review for the podcast on iTunes as this helps the podcast reach more of our colleagues who want to build successful practices.
Finally, feel free to join over 4,000 of our colleagues who are signed up for the Selling the Couch newsletter.
You’ll learn valuable tips to build and grow your practice and get the podcast episodes delivered right to your inbox.
You’ll also get FREE access to The Tax Write-Off Check List for Mental Health Private Practitioners.
Today’s Awesome Sponsor – Wellness Fi