[smart_track_player url=”http://traffic.libsyn.com/sellingthecouch/STC_Sovann_Pen_Edited.mp3 ” title=”Persevering In Your Private Practice Journey” artist=”Melvin Varghese with Sovann Pen” social=”true” social_twitter=”true” social_facebook=”true” social_gplus=”true” ]
Welcome! My guest today is Sovann Pen, a Licensed Professional Counselor in Portland, OR. Sovann is here to talk about his private practice journey, the fears he faced, and what has kept him going. I hope you’ll join us and learn from the amazing tips in this conversation!
What you’ll hear in this episode:
- Sovann’s journey took him through pre-med and the desire to be a chaplain—and THEN he caught the counseling bug!
- Sovann reveals his heart in wanting to help families.
- “Your niche and your ideal client change over the years.”
- Sovann has done marriage counseling, sleep therapy, and career counseling.
- Losing referrals has been a big fear that Sovann has overcome.
- In Sovann’s first year after grad school, he averaged ONE client per week!
- Pearls of wisdom from Sovann:
- Believe in yourself.
- Get good supervision.
- Trust your training.
- Listen to your clients and community.
- Start writing articles.
- Clarify WHO you are and WHAT you offer.
- Listen to Sovann’s Hot Couch Round answers about his love for reading, listening, and writing. He gives advice on getting connected, finding role models, and taking action. How would Sovann spend $500 if he were starting over? Listen to find out!
The Portfolio Life podcast by Jeff Goins
Any Books by John Maxwell