Welcome! My guest today is Jennifer McGurk, a registered nutritionist and dietician in Nyack, NY. She works with clinicians who see clients with eating disorders. Our topic is a recurring one within the STC community; we’re talking about how to build relationships and expand referral networks with clinicians and non-clinicians. Join us!
What you’ll hear in this episode:
- How to take a team approach with other clinicians
- How Jennifer found other clinicians in her area
- Why a holistic approach helps clients who need support from more than just one clinician
- Don’t view other clinicians as COMPETITION!
- WHY and HOW to network correctly
- Reach out to clinicians in related areas:
- What does my client need help with?
- Who should be on this “team”?
- “The power of networking is building relationships one at a time.”
- New mindset/new perspective
- Jennifer explains what has NOT been helpful in this area—those people who don’t take the time to get to know her or her practice
- Get to know those with whom you network: read their blogs and check out their website
- Be careful of general messages—they don’t form connections
- Powerful relationships form future collaboration for supporting your clients
- This kind of network and team approach sends a powerful message: “We’re here for you, working together.”
- Jennifer explains the benefit of a gut reaction as to whether another clinician is a good match
Get Jennifer’s Book: Pursuing Private Practice